Case Studies | Manufacturing
Junior Management Development
Direct Savings of: £201,040
As global leader in engineered foams, Armacell applies leading edge experience and technology to create value-added solutions for a wide range of industries. With dynamic growth, Armacell has become a major supplier of closed cell engineered foams and expanded rubber products used in automotive, industrial, sports, leisure and recreation, packaging, construction and a wide range of custom applications.
Armacell consists of a network of 19 manufacturing facilities in 12 countries worldwide.
CQM worked with the UK plant in Oldham which has approximately 100 employees.
– To increase cost control, accuracy and efficiency of systems
– To reduce costs of performing quality checks, improve accuracy.
– Review transport and logistics setup
– Implement a structured front line management development programme, including taking candidates through BTEC qualification in Supervisory Management.
Key Identified Issues
– Systems not being fully utilised and requiring updating and reorganisation
– Internal training facilitated
– Manufacturing processes not efficient and resulting in high levels of waste
– Communication with other facilities challenging
– Quality checks and other routine tasks over-reliant on human input, time consuming and hazardous.
– Transport and logistics setup uneconomical
– All front line managers now have a BTEC qualification in Supervisory Management
– Warehouse shipping costs reduced by 30%
– Warm up mill processes improvements of 39% in labour savings and 20% in energy savings p/a
– Ongoing stock reduction projects on products, initial savings £13k p/a.
– Level of manual intervention required for Time Management System reduced by 61%.
– Transport costs reduced by 22%.
– Stock blender installed and weights increased
– Mill knives installed with improving health & safety
– Labour and energy costs reduced
Return on investment
"The CQM programme has resulted in greatly improved team working, higher motivation and morale, along with a better understanding of overall business needs and concerns. We now have more effective, capable people who are applying what they have learnt in their jobs. The successful outcomes of the projects have had a positive impact on the finances of the company in terms of savings identified."